Saturday, December 27, 2014

Wedding Card - White on Pastels

Perfect use for Santa hat after Christmas.

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece."
                          -------------Leonardo da Vinci
Hi, Friends.....

Did you have a nice Christmas???  We sure did.  We ate together with friends at their house.  We packed food over there and combined it with things they made and had a feast.  I thought we might miss out on our usual white Christmas since our weather has been so temperate lately.  But just like magic, snow fell on Christmas Eve day and we had a white Christmas after all.  More is predicted for the next 24 hours and then temps are supposed to drop to near zero.  Brrrrr!  Winter seems finally to have arrived. 

Today I am sharing a wedding card I made for the son of some friends.  The couple are getting married on New Years Day.  For this one, I pulled out a white premade DCWV embossed card with this lovely floral pattern.  Is it a rose?  I am thinking it is.  



I tried out something different for my background this time.  You know how I like to experiment with messy and gooey background techniques, right?  :)  So I adapted this idea from one of my many failed experiments from a different technique I was trying.  I was pretty sure I could use this for Plan B, if the other one didn't work.   Well, guess what.....it didn't work and so here I am!  Ha.  

I squeezed out some Tombow Multi Mono liquid glue onto a non-stick craft mat.  With a wet craft sponge, I spread the glue out somewhat evenly in a rectangle slightly larger than this card.  Then I turned this card over and laid the embossed side on the glue and brayered it.  I removed the card and let the glue dry.  This particular glue stays sticky when dry (which I generally hate!!) but which was exactly what I needed this time!  I dabbed on small amounts of Perfect Pearls (Pink Gumball and Green Patina).  Using a big round fluffy brush, I brushed the powder around to cover all the gluey, gooey area.  Then I took a synthetic cotton ball and lightly brushed off any excess so it wouldn't get on the bride and groom.....bad form!!  (It's one thing for us crafters to be wearing bits of shimmery powder unevenly on our faces and clothes, but most people don't consider it as fashionable as we do!)   I also picked off of my card the bristles my brush had shed. (Do you think it has anything to do with buying cheap brushes?????  Ha.) 

In the photo below, you can see a bit of the shimmer that the Perfect Pearls impart.  LOVE!!!!  So glad I got a whole bunch of different colors for half-price at JoAnn's!!   I have an idea you will be seeing more of this technique.  :)


My sentiment is from the Mark's Finest Papers set called Lily of the Valley, which I stamped in Distress Ink - Bundled Sage.  I mounted it on some vellum and picked out a vellum butterfly I previously had made and had in my stash.  I like it in place of a bow.  And I like how the vellum doesn't draw too much attention away from the delicate background.  

Hope the happy couple will like their card.  Let me know what you think of my new technique?  Hope you are enjoying this week between the holidays!!!  Maybe I will get snowed in and have to craft 24/7.  :)

<3
Janis 

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. MFP Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge #242 - Round those Corners
2. Dreamweaver Stencils December Challenge - Cute and/or Quick
3. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge #11 - Anything Goes
4. Word Art Wednesday Challenge #163 - Anything Goes
5. Lunagirl Moonbeams Challenge- Winter in Pink
 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Janis!

    Your cards are always SO pretty. THanks a bunch for taking the time to share your card in our challenge this week. I always enjoy your sweet cards, and I thank you for sharing!

    Blessings to you,
    Karen
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Thanks so much for your lovely and encouraging comment!!! I appreciate your kind words so very much!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Wow this is so chic for a wedding card. Just love the colouring on the embossed roses and the butterfly is just scrumptious.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Desire!!! I love heat embossing white on vellum, so I usually make several when I am doing that with one of my stamps. It's so nice to have them on hand for a quick embellishment. Thanks so much for your very sweet comment. You made my day!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, this is so beautiful, I love the colors and the fabulous design. The roses and butterfly are so perfect, they will treasure this always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly!!! I appreciate your very kind words!!
      Happy New Year!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely card and great technique ~ I think it turned out beautifully. I enjoyed your post and I am so pleased to have your card in my Winter in Pink challenge at LunagirlMoonbeams.com! Thanks so much for joining in. I hope to see more of your work in future challenges. (And I'm glad to find your blog, because I love cats!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Your visit and your sweet comment mean a lot to me. Thanks, also, for becoming a follower! I appreciate your support and encouragement so much!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. Beautiful , very special Thanks for sharing at MFP SF&F..........Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lis, for stopping by and for your nice words. I hope you have a wonderful New Year!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Oooh, another gorgeous card and another new technique! Honestly, your crafty brain just keeps on cranking out the creative gems! I have never even thought to brayer glue onto an embossed background but what a great way to use the Perfect Pearls! I have some around here somewhere but have only used it with Versamark and a stamp. The soft colors added to the pre-embossed card background is just perfect (just like the Perfect pearls) and that vellum butterfly is MUCH more special than a simple bow! Not to mention that it goes along so well with the roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen!!! Hahaha....my crafty brain! Pull out those Perfect Pearls of yours and go at it. I love the look of them, but to be honest I am a little concerned about breathing in the fine powder. I am working on figuring out ways to minimize the airborne particles. Any ideas?????

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Love the pretty soft effect you achieved with your technique - gorgeous card.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caryn!!! I love that soft effect, too. Thank you for your nice comment!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Such a great technique. Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at SFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, kRen!!! I hope to do more experimenting with this technique in the future.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. WOW what a stunning background you have created. I saw your card at a Challenge and had to come over to have a closer look. the embossed butterfly is stunning too
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sonia!! Love it that you came by to visit a moment. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment!!! Happy New Year!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  10. Beautiful background! Thanks for sharing your adapted technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lagene!!! Your sweet comments have put a smile on my face today!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis