Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Spirit of Christmas



Hi, Friends.....


I am here with another post-season make for next Christmas. I was

Kind of blotchy, but I figured that most of that would be hidden, anyway...  :)
inspired by the MarkerPop - Twinkle Twinkle Challenge where we are asked to include stars &/or moon on our project and use a coloring medium they sell. I used Distress Inks for shading my night sky.

I gave myself a head start by using purple cardstock. You can see the plain one on the right and the sponged one on the left. I am very much a beginner in doing night sky scenes, but it was fun to give it a try!

Since I am trying to make Christmas cards ahead to use for next December, I wanted the Star of Bethlehem in the sky. I used the one from my Winnie & Walter - Our Town stamp set and heat embossed it with WOW! Embossing Powder - Opaque Bright White Regular, which is my brightest and whitest EP......LOVE! Then I grabbed my Winnie & Walter - Scenery: Big Bang Confetti stamp set and stamped some round stars. Eeek. They looked like snowflakes, instead of stars!! (groan...) What to do....what to do?

I flicked some droplets of water onto the background to make some dim, faraway stars and then tried a trick I saw Clare use on her AWESOME card over at Sutz Manchego using watered down Perfect Pearls. So I did (kind of) the same thing with some Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder in Blush mixed with water, except my droplets are pretty big and hers are gorgeously super-fine.

You can only get a slight feel for the depth and shimmer that these pearly drops added in the photo below. Do you think it still looks too much like snowflakes? It looks (slightly) more like a night sky in real life than in the photo. lol....


Other supplies used include:
Quietfire Designs - Hold on to the Spirit of Christmas
Versafine - Imperial Purple ink
Clear embossing powder from my stash
My Favorite Things Die-namics - Stitched Oval STAX die set
Distress Inks in Black Soot, Chipped Sapphire, Blueprint Sketch, Picked Raspberry, and Victorian Velvet (for distressing sentiment panel)
Silver ribbon from my stash

Hope you liked my card! It was fun to play around with sponging. I am in total awe of those card artists that can really make a fabulous sky!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comments!!

<3
Janis


Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. MarkerPop Twinkle Twinkle Challenge #112 - Use Stars and/or Moon
2. Rudolph Days at ScrappyMo's January Challenge - Anything Goes Christmas
3. Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Spread Your Wings (Attempting a night sky is spreading my wings artistically!)
4. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
5. Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge #317 - Anything Goes Christmas w/ opt: Use a Sentiment
6. CHNC Challenge Extra January - Anything Goes Christmas
7. ABC Christmas Challenge - A is for Anything Goes or B is for .... (I chose Anything Goes.)
8. DL.Art Thankful Thursday Challenge #196 - Winter or Any Thank You
9. Penny Black and More January Challenge - Anything Goes
10. Crop Stop January Linky Party #24 - Anything Goes use prod CS sells
(I used Distress Inks, Wow! Embossing Powder, and a My Favorite Things die.) 

18 comments:

  1. This is really great!! It looks like you had a lot of fun making this I love your twinkle stars.
    Thank you for entering the DL.ART THANKFUL THURSDAY challenge #196-“WINTER or Thank you” for this challenge. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    DL.ART
    DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your background looks so peaceful and beautiful. I think the circles look like a bokeh effect. It is stunning.

    Thanks for taking part in the January Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful card, a great background for your wonderful sentiment.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your own background is awesome!!! Love it! Thank you so much for joining us at Rudolph days challenge this month ! Gloria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow! Your background is gorgeous!! Lovely card and sentiment. Thanks for linking up to CropStop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo what a stunner and thanks for joining us at January's Rudolph Days Challenge, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sentiment and a fabulous background.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovewhat you made with distres inks.
    So peetty!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love that background...and yes, it totally looks like stars in a night sky! The soft blurry look of some of them just add to the feel of their being waaaaaaay out there in the galaxy. The sentiment panel and white embossed star of Bethlehem are all the embellishment this gorgeous background needs. As always, your cat meme has me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this, beautiful sky and i love the effect you have created. An all round lovely card.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the background and that's a great sentiment! Such a lovely card, thanks for sharing it with us at ABC Christmas Challenge.
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful sky, wonderful deep colours. A lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! Great job!
    Thanks for playing with us at CraftyHazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for January and good luck!
    Monica - DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love you beautiful card. The background and sentiment are great! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous card and the night sky background is beautiful.
    Thank you for entering our challenge at Penny Black and More this month.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card, great job with the night sky.
    Thank you for sharing at Penny Black & More 'Anything Goes' challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Janis, a super card love the 'cheat' of using purple cardstock to start with, a great idea for other beginners like me to try out! The stars look perfect I cannot see any snowflakes amongst them... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis